Sunday, June 6, 2010

He has called me by name. I am His.

Mom and Dad use to sing this song about the verses from Isaiah 43..."When you pass through the waters I will be with you...when you pass through the fire you'll not be hurt...Do not fear for I have redeemed you, I have called you by name, you are mine." Brian and I have been singing that song a lot. It actually has a part where boys are suppose to sing and then girls repeat, so we have been doing that and it pretty much sounds awful but then even more wonderful because of that...does that makes sense? That verse/song has been treasure to us lately. As we continue the work and see more devastating things, we know we are redeemed and that the Lord has called us by name. Jesus!

Between Friday and Saturday we ended up with 11 more people. The house is loud and crazy now but they have already been a tremendous help. A lot more work has been done on the orphanage property and Brian is thinking they should be able to lay the foundation in the next couple weeks.

One of the girls brought a brownie mix and made brownies for everyone! I cannot explain to you how I felt when I ate them. Jesus is even in the small things! Please keep praying for us.

This is the church we went to this morning! It was beautiful. Even though we did not understand anything, it was wonderful to hear like minded believers singing to the same Jesus. The churches are really growing since the earthquake.
I worked at another orphanage Saturday. City Team (see below) is revamping the orphanages website so we sat down with Jasmine, the lady who runs it and she told us her vision and story of how she got to Haiti from the states 2 years ago. It was amazing!! She and her husband have 37 orphans all of which are the sweetest children ever. While I was there I played a lot of clapping games (I am sure there is a better term for this) and soccer. Thank you Jesus for sports. A lot of the kids new a little English which made things much easier.

The site is really coming along. Brian is standing where the truck is about to dump sand for the concrete. There is little shade where its being built and one day we worked up their and with the humidity it was 110 degrees.

When we saw this we freaked...it is about the size of my hand. We see them a lot. We made an awesome video feeding a cricket to this tarantula so he would get off our porch. We made sure our mosquito net was nice and tucked in before going to sleep that night.

This is Jim and Karen Esson, who we work for. The house has people from a few different ministries...EFCA, City Team, Side by Side and then the volunteer groups, churches, individuals that represent each ministry. Its confusing but very New Testamentish. We are with Side by Side. And side note...Jim and Karen are our hero's!

1 comment:

  1. Lorey,
    Thanks for posting these updates. It is good to be able to pray for you guys more specifically. I'll definately be praying for your heart as you see and work among such devastion. I remember feeling so overwhelmed and helpless my first trip to Honduras as we drove through such poverty. When I put Andrew to bed at night we always sing "Jesus Loves the Little Children." Ever since the earthquake this song has made me think of the children and families in Haiti, so Andrew and I are praying for you guys each night after I sing to him. We look forward to the blessing of keeping up with your experiences and God bless your beautiful hands and feet as you love and minister to those around you.
    Jenn Hollen

    ReplyDelete